EXILSEA: Exploiting ISOcat's Language Sections in ELAN and ANNEXSummary
Enhancements of the multimedia annotation tool ELAN and the accompanying ANNEX browser for users of different languages with the multilingual features of ISOCAT.Background
The CLARIN data category system ISOcat offers the possibility to create multiple language sections for names, definitions and descriptions of data categories, English being the only obligatory language. The use of these multilingual functions in ISOcat for the creation of multilingual versions of the corpus metadata and annotations will only be a solution if the tools to annotate multimodal data and to visualise those annotations actually exploit the multilingual features. EXILSEA enhances the multimedia annotation tool ELAN and the accompanying ANNEX browser for this purpose.
This new functionality is being demonstrated for the Corpus NGT (for Sign Language of the Netherlands), which is originally glossed, translated, and annotated in Dutch. Its existing IMDI metadata has been updated to CLARIN-standard CMDI descriptions using bilingual ISOcat categories, and has likewise standardised the Controlled Vocabularies in the annotation files by using references to bilingual ISOcat categories.
- Project leader: Dr. O.A. Crasborn (Radboud University)
- CLARIN center: Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics
- Help contact : https://tla.mpi.nl/contact/
- Web-sites: http://www.ru.nl/sign-lang/projects/exilsea/
- User scenario's (screencasts, screenshots): Screencast
- Manual: http://www.mpi.nl/corpus/manuals/manual-elan.pdf
- Tool/Service link: https://tla.mpi.nl/tools/tla-tools/elan/
- Publications: n.a.